Associate Director – Insight (qual)
Type of Job
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
£50k+ dependent on experience and seniority
3 November 2022
About the company
Founded in 2013, Differentology (www.differentology.co.uk) is a strategic research consultancy, headquartered in the UK, with projects spanning the globe.
We work at the intersection of data, human behaviour, technology and creativity, using qual and quant
techniques to provide sharp thinking for some of the world’s biggest brands (from HSBC, Vitality, and ASOS to Sky, Disney and ITV).
We merge traditional techniques with cutting edge methodologies, offering bespoke solutions (rather than selling research ‘products’) to help solve our clients’ issues.
As a boutique agency, in 2019 we won the MRS ‘Breakthrough Business of the Year’ accolade, backing up many other award wins across methodological innovation, and excellence in storytelling.
About the role
Business is booming and we’re eager to bring on board an experienced insight professional (with 5+ years’ experience). The role would suit an established AD, or an ambitious SRM who is looking to grow to the next level. It would suit those who have a passion for delivering strategic insight for clients, typically via ad hoc projects across a variety of different business challenges and categories.
What the day to day role involves:
• An emphasis on project and people management – showing leadership within the team and working collaboratively
• Sharing experiences with, encouraging and developing RM / SRE / Exec talent
• Being a skilled practitioner across the design, execution, and delivery of inspiring insight
• Fully managing and running (multiple) ad hoc strategic insight projects of all sizes – end to end with full responsibility
• Building day to day relationships with existing clients, owning client accounts
• Actively seeking out work / new business and writing and winning proposals (including large scale/complex projects)
• Confidently presenting directly to clients including senior stakeholders
• Delivering exceptional, story-led and commercially orientated outputs, weaving together coherent mixed method projects / debriefs
• Strategic thinking – full understanding of the client business, understanding commercial objectives and implications
• Building networks and profile - writing blogs, developing a voice on social media, presenting at conferences
• Internal improvement – overseeing changes to processes and encouraging positive change
• Negotiating and setting up white label suppliers of new innovations to evolve our methods and thinking
We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds, across the gender spectrum, abilities and life experiences.
Irrespective of role we expect the following core behaviours to shine through:
• Puts others needs before their own, offers support and solutions to colleagues, and proactively collaborates
• Retains a positive, can do attitude, even in the toughest of circumstances
• Keeps stakeholders (internal and external) up to date, clearly and professionally, and sets clear expectations when delegating tasks
• Makes time and quality based commitments, sees things through, and holds oneself and others accountable
• Takes pride in delivering work to the highest standards, and acknowledges when things are not up to scratch. Willingness to challenge and provide constructive feedback when work isn’t of the required standard
• Removes (non-added-value) complexity from ways of working, avoids over debating, and is decisive in decision making
• Completes tasks without needing to be prompted, prioritises deadlines (weighting up business and commercial risks), and takes the initiative
• Questions how we can be better than before, better than the competition, how we can grow, and what’s new / exciting / innovative that we should be doing
• Delights stakeholders (internal and external), makes their life easier, goes the extra step, and keeps project objectives and commercial goals in sight at all times
• Develops an area of specialism (e.g. a specific category, methodology, software etc.). Shares this knowledge throughout the business to help others grow
• Prepared to take on challenging work outside comfort zone, as well as coaching others to help them realise their full potential
• Typically, 5+ years’ experience, with a portion of this time spent at boutique or smaller insight agencies
• Predominantly a qual practitioner but able to work in mixed method teams
• The ability to adapt and evolve in a growth orientated environment
• Experience across a range of client types and categories
• A stickler for detail but can see and appreciate the bigger picture
• Knowledge of trends, semiotics, linguistics or other supplementary analysis methods beneficial
• Experience of nurturing and developing talent
• The ability to lead and grow client relationships, write compelling proposals, and spot opportunities
• Large scale multi market project experience beneficial