Qualitative & Mixed Methods AD/Director
Type of Job
Farringdon, London, UK
17 February 2023
About the company
Making the complex beautifully simple
We explore how people feel, think and act in the media, entertainment and lifestyle sectors. We uncover the human stories that lie within, around and between the data, bringing clarity to the most complex problems.
Everyone should strive to be an ambassador for Tapestry, driving the business forward and building relationships with our clients.
To do this we aim to be the following at all times, regardless of whether we are working with our clients or each other.
Inventive: We solve interesting problems in interesting ways. We’re always looking to improve our – and our clients’ - understanding of people. We will combine new approaches, techniques or technology to simplify the most complex of issues.
Curious: We are, frankly, a little bit nosey. We want to know what's happening in the world and why it happens the way it does. We're driven by finding the hidden insights and truths that lie in the gaps between data, real humans and our clients’ business.
Personable: We are good people to work with. We seek to build long term relationships with team members, research partners and clients. We are always approachable, enthusiastic, flexible and down to earth.
Smart: We like to know things and share our knowledge with others. We go deep into topics and get to the essential truth of the matter, for the benefit of ourselves and our clients. We’re not afraid to challenge our clients or ourselves, and always welcome challenging to our own thinking.
Dedicated: We want to do everything really well. We will use the talent across the company and bring in the smartest research partners to ensure we deliver something that exceeds expectations.
Supportive: We don’t run away. We'll be with you for as long as you need us, providing you with guidance, advice and direction whenever it’s required. We do this by working collaboratively, listening to input from all sides and keeping everyone updated on our progress.
About the role
We’re looking for someone unique in our team, a future leader who will establish a new qualitative practice within Tapestry. It’s an exciting role for someone ready to take the step up to a leadership position and ensure we are as well respected for qualitative studies as we are for the maths, stats and data work on which we built our reputation. We have a strong base of existing studies and an enthusiastic junior team to work with, but there will be the freedom to build things out as you wish. As always with our senior team, experience of more methodologies – quantitative, behavioural science, etc. – would be a bonus, but qualitative is the core of this role.
We’re best known for the quantitative work we do, both in terms of the clever maths we bring to any study and the compelling narratives which we weave around our data. Over the last few years, however, we’ve been doing more and more qualitative work. This began as part of mixed method studies but has expanded to include some qualitative-only work. Right now qual represents around 10% - 15% of our business. The rapid growth of the company means this is likely to increase in absolute terms over the next few years and we expect to see qual as a proportion of our overall business also increase as our capabilities expand.
At present we tap into a small group of trusted consultants for our qualitative work. We also have a number of more junior team members who enjoy qualitative studies and are gaining experience in the foothills of the various approaches. With this new role we seek someone to bring it all together, establish a more formal qualitative practice within Tapestry and take our offer to the next level.
As such, we’re looking for someone who will be able to command the respect of our clients immediately. We see you leading qualitative elements of larger studies, owning qualitative-only work and, potentially, taking on a primary role in mixed method studies too. You won’t be starting from scratch, as we have a strong pipeline of qualitative studies already. You’ll also have the support of both a senior team and a group of more junior, qual-curious researchers. Our pool of trusted consultants will be available to support and work with you too, although, in the long run, we are aiming to have a fully fledged qualitative arm of Tapestry under your direction.
You’ll be a trusted and inspiring representative of the Tapestry brand and will be delivering on all core aspects of research studies, managing and coaching team members and maintaining close control over projects. Having some mixed method experience, including some exposure to quantitative work, would be a bonus – many of the studies you’ll be working on involve more than just qual – but it’s not vital.
You will work on a wide variety of projects for our clients. Our customers know us for our tenacious attitude and high quality output that provides clear answers and understanding to their research questions; as such, you will have a strong aptitude in delivering and presenting strong insights.
The ideal candidate will share our company values, will be self-motivated and someone who takes their own development seriously. The role will develop overtime, and so will the opportunities open to you.
• Proposing, designing and leading qualitative aspects of our studies, applying the right research methodologies and approaches to best tackle specific objectives. In this you will have responsibility and autonomy, whether you are working alongside another senior team member or as the sole lead.
• You will play a major part in overseeing and leading reports for our clients. Typically the senior team work with the rest in shaping early findings and landing on a narrative, then are involved later in reviewing, finessing and finalising a deck. We’re flexible in how we work, however, and encompass a range of styles.
• You will develop your own exceptional client relationships, building your – and our – reputation for excellent qualitative work
• You will set the standards and build out the qualitative team, increasing headcount to match the increase in the business and coaching, managing and mentoring more junior team members to the highest standards
• Ultimately you will build the qualitative division of Tapestry and help to ensure the wider business success by working flexibly and supportively to deliver work in accordance with the needs of Tapestry.
To apply please email email@example.com with your CV and the job you'd like to apply for.
1. This role is perfect for an experienced associate director or equivalent, or a more recent director, who is looking to step out of their comfort zone and begin to build something of their own while enjoying the support of experienced people around them.
2. Able to identify with the Tapestry values, you will be enthusiastic, highly curious with a tenacious mindset.
3. You should have a strong background in qualitative market research (or similar field), ideally having worked in an agency environment where you’ve proved yourself as a trusted client advisor. An understanding of quant and/or other methodologies would also be beneficial
4. Holding experience of managing people, giving them direction and inspiration, and supporting them to deliver client work to a high standard and in accordance with deadlines.
5. Be able to take a novel approach to situations, being pragmatic and driven
6. A genuine interest in the world around you - people, their behaviours and culture.
7. Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly and powerfully on point, with experience of presenting to clients
8. Strong eye for detail, consistently produces work to exacting standards.