Sustainability Internship & Mentorship
Type of Job
Full time - six months
£21,000 pro rata i.e. £10,500 for the six-month internship, covering 35 hours per week (with standard working hours 9am-5pm).
6 July 2021
About the company
GlobeScan is an international research and strategy consultancy. In a fast-changing context where social and environmental issues are more important than ever, we help our clients understand what their stakeholders and consumers think of them, which issues matter the most and work with them to create a sustainable and equitable future.
Since our founding in 1987, we have worked with a wide range of leading global companies, multilateral organisations and NGOs. Visit https://globescan.com/clients/ to see a list of our clients. We are a committed team of experienced researchers and advisors, with offices in Cape Town, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, Paris, San Francisco, São Paulo and Toronto.
We’re an independent, part employee-owned company, a certified B Corp (a global movement of people using business as a force for good, visit https://bcorporation.net/ for more information) and a proud participant of the United Nations Global Compact.
About the role
Are you interested in sustainability and the issues facing business and society today? Do you want the opportunity to see how an international consultancy works with leading global brands and organisations?
We are looking for an intern to join our London team for six months in a paid position. An internship & mentorship with GlobeScan offers the chance to work on projects that are varied, interesting and impactful. Activities include: supporting on client reports, briefings and presentations, desk research, interpretation of quantitative and qualitative data, project management, and database management.
What we offer…
- Practical, hands-on experience of working in a fast-paced boutique sustainability research consultancy
- On the job training and coaching on sustainability and research
- The chance to impact the strategy, communications, and purpose of leading organisations
- Opportunity to work directly with international teams based in Cape Town, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, Paris, San Francisco, São Paulo and Toronto
- Regular feedback and guidance on performance and development, including a 12 month mentorship with an experienced member of our team, to help you decide the right direction for your career
- Our London internship & mentorship is a program with a new person every 6 months, aimed to give experience in sustainability and consultancy to a wider range of people and make the industry more accessible, while helping you decide what is right for you
- We do not currently expect to have an opening for a permanent position at the end of 6 months, though you will of course be able to apply if one does come up, and our mentorship is designed to offer guidance beyond your 6 months at GlobeScan.
Salary and Benefits
• £21,000 pro rata i.e. £10,500 for the six-month internship, covering 35 hours per week (with standard working hours 9am-5pm). We are proud to pay above the London Living Wage.
• A commitment to work-life balance and flexible office and home working – applicants will be expected to work at least part of the time in the central London office, and will be provided equipment needed to work at home for the duration of the internship – including a laptop, mouse keyboard, screen etc.
• An interest-free travel loan if needed
• Our London office is based in a vibrant co-working space in Covent Garden, with a calendar of exciting events open to all members (currently online!)
Application and next steps
GlobeScan is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive culture where all employees are valued and supported to reach their full potential. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring, where our diversity is a strength. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration without regard to age, ethnicity, race, creed, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status or disability. If you require adjustments during the recruitment and selection process, please use the contact information below to request specialised accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Expected starting date: ASAP – interviews will be in two stages, to be run c. 26th July-13th August, offers made c. 18th August
If you’re interested in the opportunity, we’d like to hear from you. To apply: Send your CV and cover letter detailing why you’d like to work for GlobeScan and why you would be a good fit for the role. Please note, we will only consider applications that contain this information.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom and ideally based near London.
• Interests – social and environmental issues and how business can be a positive force in society
• Attitude – enthusiastic, intelligent, inquisitive, proactive and organised – a team player also able to think and work independently
• Experience of self-directed research e.g. coursework, dissertation, desk research from work experience
• Basic understanding of Microsoft Word / Excel / PowerPoint
• Attention to detail
• Basic numeracy and comfort working with numbers, statistics and charts (minimum GCSE grade C in Maths or equivalent)
• Clear and concise written communications (minimum GCSE grade C in English or equivalent)
• Education/Experience: 1 or more years of post-school work experience or a university degree
• We also welcome, but do not require, language skills beyond English